More than 250 leaders from 70-plus major markets gathered in southern California for the 2017 CREW Network Winter Leadership Summit, Feb. 9-10 at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. The event featured a full program of knowledge exchange, updates on CREW Network initiatives, dynamic leadership training, and multiple networking opportunities. Hospitality was provided by members of CREW-LA and hospitality table sponsor Haworth.
Leadership Summit attendees gained valuable knowledge and best practices to guide their chapters and utilize the power of our global Network. In the delegate training and council meeting, leaders shared valuable tools including chapter playbooks, industry research publications and marketing toolkits.
Leading CREW Network
The event also marked the debut of Wendy Mann, CAE, new CREW Network CEO and CREW Network Foundation President. Mann networked with attendees throughout the event and gave an introductory speech at Friday’s networking lunch. Mann referenced the quote, “You may not always end up where you thought you were going, but you will always end up where you were meant to be,” when describing the path that led her to CREW Network. Follow her on Twitter: @crew_wendym
Networking at its best
Networking opportunities were aplenty in Hollywood. Attendees enjoyed two networking receptions, lunch, dine-arounds and breaks throughout the two-day event. Small group leadership meetings also provided delegates, chapter presidents and general members the opportunity to meet with CREW Network leaders to discuss initiatives, as well as chapter successes and challenges.
One of the summit highlights was a dynamic development training by Dr. Valerie Young, an internationally known expert, speaker and author of the award-winning book The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women: Why Capable People Suffer from the Impostor Syndrome and How to Thrive in Spite of It. Her career advice has been cited in popular media around the world including the BBC, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, USA Today Weekend, Entrepreneur, Kiplinger’s, Inc., The Globe & Mail and many more.
Dr. Young’s two-part training covered:
- Why the impostor syndrome is not “just low self-esteem”
- How our Competence Type may be setting you up to fall short
- Why women may be both more susceptible to and held back by impostor feelings
- Unconscious ways impostor feelings may play out in your life
- The cost of the impostor syndrome to organizations
- The single difference between people who feel like impostors and those who don’t
- Practical strategies for interrupting the impostor syndrome that you can start using immediately
For more information, visit Dr. Young’s website.
In her President’s message, Alison Beddard outlined CREW Network’s strategic priorities for 2017, which include:
- Connecting women globally to encourage member to member business opportunities within CREW Network. With the support of Global Sponsor Cushman & Wakefield, our Global Agenda will continue to increase the power and diversity of the Network globally.
- Making our mark as the leading producer of research on women in commercial real estate. Chapter leaders, we are calling on you to share our latest white paper with your members, employers and local media. CREW Network has provided a marketing toolkit to assist in your communication and public relations efforts.
- Continued improvements to valuable member content and resources. In January, CREW Network rolled out a Social Media Playbook and will continue to produce articles and member-to-member stories to keep us up to date on the latest happening in our industry and among our membership. If you have recently been a part of a successful member-to-member deal or resource exchange, we’d like to know!
- Technology to better serve members with the launch of a new CREW Network website and members-only community, new CREWbiz and speakers directory, as well as a new website template for chapters. This project – in all, a two-year process – will add tremendous value to our membership, allowing us to share connections, conversations and resources across our global network. CREW Network staff members Laura Lewis and Megan Cottrell outlined the technology project, previewed the new CREWbiz and asked attendees for their help in beta testing the new community. (View the presentation here, slides 28-53. Attendees, watch your inboxes for more information!)
2017 CREW Network Nominating Committee appointed
In CREW Network business, delegates unanimously approved the members recommended to serve on the Nominating Committee. Appointees were: Adrienne Bain, CREW Charlotte; Mollie Fadule, CREW Seattle and Sound; Stacie Goeddel, CREW San Francisco; Autumn Harris, CREW Pittsburgh; Jackie Orcutt, AZCREW; Stephanie Lincourt, CREW Montreal, First Alternate; Sophie Stein, CREW Boston, Second Alternate.
The delegates will join the CREW Network Executive Committee in selecting the slate of directors and the president-elect for the 2018 board of directors.
Chapter Challenge continues to fuel CREW Network Foundation fundraising
As a result of the continued success of the CREW Network Foundation Chapter Challenge, overall individual donations have climbed from 3 percent in 2012 to an outstanding 28% in 2016.
The CREW Network Foundation inducted seven supporters into the Women of Vision donor program last year, including the 59th and 60th inductees, Claire Roberts (MNCREW), and Sara Todd (CREW Washington DC), pinned at the Spring Leadership Meeting in Hollywood.
CREW Network Foundation scholarships applications are online through April 30 and winners will be announced on July 11.
Upcoming deadlines and events
Attendees were asked to keep in mind the following important dates and deadlines approaching:
- CREW Network Impact Award nominations are due April 15.
- CREW Network Foundation scholarship applications are online through April 30.
- CREW Network's next leadership gathering will be the Spring Leadership Summit, June 22-23 in Toronto, Ont. You don’t have to be a delegate to take advantage of the leadership learnings offered here. Participation is open to all!
- The upcoming CREW Network Convention and Marketplace, Oct. 25-27 in Houston, Texas, promises a strong lineup of speakers and programs.
Social media and meeting resources
Additional coverage of the event may be found on CREW Network's social media channels by searching #crewsummit. Presentation materials and event photos will also be posted on the Winter Leadership Summit website as soon as they are available.